Shook Funeral Home
639 Van Houten Avenue
Shook Funeral Home Prior to 1962 Renovation
On June 7, 1955, the NJ State Board of Mortuary Science granted permission to Joseph and Eleanor Shook to open and operate the Shook Funeral Home at 639 Van Houten Avenue in the Athenia Section of Clifton.
In 1962 to meet the demands of a growing community, a large addition to the front of the building was added. Later adjoining properties were acquired and in 1979 a wing was added to increase the size and number of chapels. In 1988 the building was again renovated with the addition of a Handicapped Ramp and Restroom.
Once again in 1992, under Mr. Shook's guidance, another wing was added to provide three spacious chapels on one floor. Finally in 2005-2006 another renovation and redecorating project was completed, giving the funeral home it's warm and accommodating atmosphere.